Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Singapore Turf Club


The next day I bought a sightseeing pass where you board open-air/top buses that whisk you to different parts of town. These types of buses are in a lot of world cities where you hop on-and-off. They had a special of 2 days for the price of 1 which was good. The pass also included some river taxis as well which was nice. The buses have live commentary and operated rain or shine. Obviously, the open-air top of the buses were nice to take in the sights, sounds, and smells of the city. So I rode the bus for a little bit in the morning before going to the Singapore Turf Club in the afternoon to watch some racing. The pics below were taken from the bus. The last pic of the series below shows Bugis Village which I stopped at and got a quick bite to eat for lunch before heading to the track. Underneath the large white building is a bazaar that sells all sorts of nick-knacks as well as mass-market street wear. You can buy all sorts of cheap t-shirts here as well.






Just after around noon, I took the subway for about an half-hour ride and arrived at the Singapore Turf Club to watch some races. The Turf Club moved to it's present location in 1999. I thought the track was a little run-down which surprised me being in Singapore. I bought a general admission ticket and there were just concession stands and I didn't see any restaurants/bars or anything, though there may have been some via the member areas. There was no gift shop or anything so I couldn't buy any souvenirs if I had wanted to. Part of the grandstand was under construction as well as the main parade ring. I had a few beers and stayed for about three hours though I didn't really win any money or anything as I was not able to read their race forms (the forms in Asia are different than in America). This track certainly can't compare to either of Hong Kong's. After the races were over, I took the subway back to downtown Singapore and hung out for the night.










3 comments:

  1. This is Duke. Greg it looks like you were the only person at the racetrack. Is horse racing not that popular in Singapore?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. two things: i took most of the pics early when people were still arriving and, second, it was really hot and most people were under the grandstand and not outdoors to avoid the heat/sun. but the had a good crowd I thought...

      Delete
  2. track looks nice -everything looks green- hmmm..............

    ReplyDelete