Friday, June 1, 2012

Dameisha Beach, Shenzhen


Last weekend I went to Dameisha Beach in Shenzhen. Dameisha includes Dameisha Seashore Park and the hinterland, which covers an area of 1,680,000 square meters. It was the first time I have been to a beach in Shenzhen and for good reason - because they're far away! It took about two hours to get there by bus-subway-bus (Shenzhen is geographically large, think L.A.). I live on the west side of Shenzhen and basically I had to go to the far eastern part of the city. But on top of that, I arrived in Shenzhen late August last year - in fact, my first night in my apartment (how time has gone fast) was my birthday. It was already becoming late in the summer season last year and I didn't know the city nowhere near well enough to travel to the beaches last summer. Last weekend, was really my last full, free weekend in Shenzhen, so I decided to take a gander. I had no intentions of going into the water - I'll be living in Florida during the summer - and I'll get my fair share of beaches shortly. Besides, it was packed and everybody would have been staring at the laowai (foreigner). Dameisha beach is free but, starting this year, they have begun limiting the number people allowed to visit per day to 50,000.  It was really hot and I walked around for an hour or two and then headed back to the center city.  Below are some pics of this area...






3 comments:

  1. nice. it is amazing how far you had to travel and still be in the same city. what water is this beach? very upscale and modern buildings...pleasant......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a very nice beach. For some reason I don't picture the Chinese going to a beach, but obviously I'm wrong----from duke

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice beach...I just cracked up thinking of you in the water with everyone looking at you. (I know you didn't tho). Just thinking about that makes me laugh :)

    ReplyDelete