Sunday, June 17, 2012

Songping English Festival


This a clip of the 9th Songping Primary School English Festival back in March where they basically told me to give a speech the day before.  It was too hard to upload it due to China's Great Firewall, so I'm able to do it now while I'm in Japan.  The school told me to give 'a short English speech to cheer them up,' whatever that means.  Now, this school is grades 1-6.  Tough to make a speech in English that a first grader and a sixth (or the teachers for that matter) would both understand and be amused by.  So I just made a few comments (after typical audio China difficulties) and my contact teacher told me beforehand, that after my minute or two speech, to read the banners that were hanging and have the children repeat after me.

Lillian, a fellow Chinese, English teacher was the translator.  After I performed this speech and looked at this video, I realized how 'Americanized' my speech was; meaning, I used index cards whereas, Lillian, memorized it overnight, as we practiced what I would say the day before.  Very embarrassing, I feel.  I'm such a buffoon.  China students are taught rote memorization; whereby they're famous for their focused memorization through sheer repetition (without the use of meaning as a basis to store information).

Certainly not one of my best speeches or performances, but oh well.  However, what is good is the song the children sing at the end.  A very famous song here in China (might be elsewhere too - I don't know).  I told them that the song was great afterwards and now that I have this video and watched it a few times, I like the song more & more.  The children did a great job!  Peter, the speaker in the beginning/end was one of my best students, but a bad ass!  His English was one of the best of the students at the school. 

My contact teacher, Lily, who speaks at the end is a tough lady.  She has no problem yelling at students in a classroom.  In fact, there is a male teacher in my office (not an English teacher) who kicks students in their asses when they leave.  Very amusing to me.  He just kicks them and yells something in Chinese.  Not what you would see in America.  Hope you enjoy the video!

7 comments:

  1. Well, I loved the video! And I think your speech was great. Forget about the cards :) It is amazing how they can memorize though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. those kids are adorable and none of them are shrinking violets. their singing voices were very good. Truthfully I thought you were ill prepared reading off the cards so I knew they must have just sprung this on you. All through your education you always memorized things. I can remember all the pages of things you memorized at Shippensburg so...but on the flip sign you were very relaxed and could see how the children loved you. She seemed very proud to announce her comes Mr. Greg. The language barrier was difficult but I think despite this you ALL came through it fine. I am proud of you and had I been their teacher, I know I would have been proud of myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. these terra cotta warriors are just unreal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I now can see that things like the first day that you would be expected in class are just not planned out in China. Everything seems to be done on the spur of the moment. Such things as recitals and concerts and year end celebrations must be planned out but we can see how hard this is when all do not have one unified language. I can see and feel for your frustration.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No two warriors are the same - that's what makes the site unique. No molds. Diff armor, head-wear, countenance, weight, robes, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  6. those two little ones that lead the show...their english is very good and i get a charge out of her with the sweeping motions when she speaks her native Chinese. They all have good voices for young kids......Love the military posture they all stand at....the only down side is they are all so serious.Your translator from English to Chinese is very good...and the lady in the end in hot pants is definitly a take charge lady. Very cute little thing. Wish they did not have so much audio problem. Do they do the Chinese National anthem before the ceremonies?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. not sure regarding the anthem...i was not usually there early enough to here it if they played it...

      Delete