Wednesday, December 14, 2011

More Street Food


Below are some pics of a street stall food vendor in Baishizhou that I go to a lot.  I had previously shown you street food from this area, but that was from another vendor.  I come here for the Chinese pancakes.  The ones I love are in the center row, near her; the orange-colored ones.  They’re originally triangle shaped (like a pizza slice) and then she slices them up into bite-size pieces and places them into a plastic baggie.  She’s placing my order into the bag now.  She then weighs the bag.  For one ‘pizza’ slice, it costs about 3-4 kwai (less than 70 cents).  I’m not totally sure they’re called Chinese pancakes but I think they are.  I used to call them ‘pizza slices’ as that’s what they looked like to me.  But they don’t have cheese, so they don’t taste anything like pizza.  I’m not sure really what they taste like but they’re always delicious.  They’re without doubt my favorite street food.  They’re sold in a lot of places in the city.  Sometimes they have eggs in them.  Other times garlic chives, minced scallions, diced bell peppers, sesame seeds, and God knows what else.  They’re a delicious flatbread but unlike a true pancake, I believe they’re made with dough instead of batter.  But they’re great.  If I’m really hungry, eating two ‘slices’ is no problem!

It’s funny, when I took these pics, there was a man working behind her that yelled at me for taking pics of the food I presume.  I just laughed at him, paid for it, and walked away.  The reason I was laughing was that the Chinese take pics of us laowais (foreigners) all the time, but when the shoe is on the other foot, well…give me a break!  It was getting dark, so the pics are not as bright.


1 comment:

  1. LOOKS GOOD. LOVE IT. MAYBE A YEAST BASED BREAD. LOVE ALL THE CRUNCHIES...LIKE GARLIC, DEHYDRATED ONION, CHIVES, SESAME SEEDS WITH SOME OIL BAKED INTO IT. LOVE SOME SPICE COMBOS ESPECIALLY ANYTHING WITH A GARLIC AND ONION BASE. HONESTLY DONT KNOW WHAT I LOVE MORE. THERE ARE TWO THINGS I VACILLATE ON GARLIC ONION AND SHRIMP SCALLION CONTROVERSY WHEN IT COMES TO LIKING ONE OVER THE OTHER. JAN HAS THE SAME THING WHEN IT COMES TO SHRIMP AND SCALLOPS.I USE THIS SHAKER CALLED HERBY ONION AND GARLIC SEASONING THAT I LOVE--IT HAS SEA SALT, DEHY ONION AND GARLIC, DEHY BELL PEPPER, PARSELY, PAPRIKA, AND LEMON PEEL AND LESS THAN 2 PERCENT SOYBEAN OIL TO PREVENT CAKING. I GET IT AT TUES MORNING AND IT IS CHEAP BUT SINCE THIS A JOB LOTTER YOU CANNOT ALWAYS GET IT. LOVE THIS STUFF. WOULD LOVE MY STUFF ON THAT CHINESE FLATBREAD SORT OF BREAD.

    ReplyDelete