Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Dome of Light & Legend Hotel

After visiting Cijin Island, I took the subway three stops to Formosa Boulevard station which just happens to be the only interchange station where the subway’s two lines connect. The station also happened to be within walking distance from my hotel. The station is also noted for its Dome of Light public artwork. It’s a mosaic of glass materials divided into water, earth, light, and fire, standing for birth, growth, glory, destruction, and rebirth respectively. Also the relationship between people and Kaohsiung’s oceans are demonstrated by this artwork. It is reportedly the world’s largest public glass installation (it’s made from individual pieces of colored glass – 4,500 glass panels) though I’m not exactly sure what that designation means. The artwork not only adds beauty to the station but acts as a gathering place as well. The Dome of Light took nearly four years to complete. The dome has a 30-meter diameter and covers an area of 660 square meters. The indoor pics below were a little hard to take and may not be that clear.






Afterwards, I walked about 15 minutes to my hotel and checked-in. I stayed one night (~ $35) at Legend Hotel located in the Qianjin District. The hotel was nice, clean, and affordable though my room was very small. The hotel offered free Wi-Fi, computer/internet stations, bicycle rentals, and an Xbox recreational zone. It also had an outdoor and indoor lounge area as well as a restaurant. Included was a breakfast buffet which was good as it included some vegetarian options. Pics of the hotel below.






I unpacked a few things, took a shower, and headed back to the subway to do more sightseeing. And the ‘area’ I saw next probably turned out to be one of my favorite spots since I left the states, and that includes China, Hong Kong, Macau, Thailand, Viet Nam, Singapore, and Taiwan…

1 comment:

  1. This is Duke. Greg, your parting comment could be included in a TV serial to get one to view into the next episode. Regarding the Dome of Light, how long do you think that would last in a NYC subway station?

    ReplyDelete