Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Repulse Bay (Beach), Hong Kong

After visiting Stanley, I took the bus back to downtown (Central) Hong Kong but along the way (both ways) we passed Repulse Bay which offers stunning views of the bay. I didn't stop on my way to Stanley but did on the way back.

Repulse Bay is located in the south of Hong Kong Island, to the east of Deep Water Bay and to the west of Middle Bay and South Bay. Middle Island, Hong Kong is located off Hong Kong Island, between Repulse Bay and Deep Water Bay. 
 
In 1841, the bay was used as a base by pirates and caused serious concern to foreign merchant ships trading with China. The pirates were subsequently repulsed by the British Fleet; hence the name. Another theory holds that the bay was named after HMS Repulse which was stationed at the bay at one point.

In the 1910s, Repulse Bay was developed into a beach. To attract swimmers, a bus route from Central to Repulse Bay was created, and now stands as one of Hong Kong's oldest bus routes. During the Battle of Hong Kong in World War II, Repulse Bay was an important strategic location. Today, the Repulse Bay area is one of the most expensive housing areas in Hong Kong and this crescent-shaped stretch of sand is one of the most beautiful beaches in Hong Kong. 
 
It was very hot but I didn't have any swim trunks with me or anything as I didn't plan on seeing a beach when I started my day and just happened to come across it – but I wish I had. It was a very nice beach/area.











4 comments:

  1. Lovely beach at Repulse Bay! So clean!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HOW PRETTY IS THIS PLACE --NICE AND CLEAN AND MODERN AND THE WATER IS PRETTY. WOW.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is Duke. Looks like a nice beach. Greg, do the Chinese/Hong Kongese like to sunbath/swim?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they like to swim. There are some beaches here in Shenzhen that are packed from what I have read but I have not been to them.

      Delete