Friday, May 18, 2012

Tin Hau Temple, Repulse Bay


Also located in Repulse Bay, right next to the beach, was another Tin Hau Temple dedicated to the Goddess of the Sea.

This brightly colored temple was different than the other ones I posted about; mainly it being located on the waterfront. But what made it also different were the numerous statues along with a pavilion, bridge (Bridge of Longevity), and a small pier area. By the way, there was an inscription on the bridge that read, “Each time you cross this bridge, your life will be prolonged 3 days – Lau Hon-Wah.” But the temple was different with it being two floors. There also were some statues and walkways behind the temple too.

I liked that stretching off the little pier was a white/red concrete walkway (see first pic below) about a foot or so under water that you could walk out and get your feet wet or pray or something.

I thought it was a unique little temple and was glad I had gotten off the bus and stopped at Repulse Bay. I took the bus back to downtown Hong Kong, hung out for a bit, and then headed back to Shenzhen to end my day trip of Stanley and Repulse Bay.












8 comments:

  1. BOY IS THIS FABULOUS.. I SEE A LOT OF THE GODS FROM MY BOOK--- IF I LIVED IN THIS PLACE I WOULD GO TO THIS PLACE EVERY DAY---TIN HAU IS THE QUEEN OF HEAVEN MY BOOK TELLS ME----THAT RED FACED GOD IS VERY POWERFUL--HE MAY BE KUAN TI -THE GOD OF WAR---NO DEMONS DARE ENTER HIS PRESCENSE,HE ALWAYS FACES THE FRONT DOOR AT THE ALTAR IN A HOME. HE ACTUALLY DEFENDS THE CHINESE CIVILIZATION. THEN WE SEE THE GOD ON THE CARP, THE FOO DOGS..BUDDHAS....DRAGONS. THAT OLD MAN ON THE FISH A MAJOR PLAYER. THE RED FACED GOD no one WILL DARE MESS WITH --HE IS THAT POWERFUL. IS THIS WHOLE THING CHARMING OR WHAT WITH THAT WATER BACKGROUND. I AM SO JEALOUS I CANNOT SEE THESE THINGS IN PERSON. YOU BETTER KEEP ALL THESE PICS. SOME OF THESE THINGS I WOULD LOVE TO HAVE FOR MY WALLPAPER. IT IS UNREAL.WHO WOULD NOT WANT TO LIVE HERE?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe you're correct reg the queen of heaven - u would know more about than I. u could also be correct about kuan ti. i have all the pics saved plus many u have not seen as i don't add every pic to the blog or it would get too large. at a lot of these temples/palaces/shrines that i have been to, u would prob notice something diff every time u went back. i wish i could have stayed longer visiting all the things i have seen during my travels but i'm always going to the next place. i read that some people thought this temple was 'tacky' but i didn't think so.

      Delete
  2. Wow, I love that first picture. I would love to go there. So pretty. I love that walk into the water :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is Duke. Love the temple and the slightly underwater pier. Greg, is the header picture a close up of the temple?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The header pic is just a pic of a statue that was on the side of the temple near its rear.

      Delete
  4. the header and the tile work i love also. love to walk into the water that way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. love the mountains islands in the background of the one pic that you took from the temple stairs.

    ReplyDelete