Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Phahurat

The next day I went to Phahurat which is an Indian neighborhood in Bangkok; Bangkok’s Little India.  I took the express boat to the Memorial Bridge pier.  Some pics of the pier and river below.



I proceeded to walk to the neighborhood but got a little twisted around and lost.  I wanted to go to Royal India restaurant for lunch as I read beforehand it’s a good little restaurant and may have been Bangkok’s first Indian restaurant.  After walking around for about an hour, I eventually found the sign.  Hopefully the pics below do it justice, but the restaurant is located down a creepy-looking alley.  I had second thoughts but I persevered and walked down the alley and it was located about 50 feet down the alley at a little corner.  It’s a small little restaurant with about 7 tables with uninspiring décor but it had good reviews.  I had my usual of palak paneer and it was good.  Wasn’t the best I’ve had nor the worst.  It was good value for the money; I think it cost around 175 baht (~ $5.50).  I read that the restaurant has won curry awards over the years so who knows.






The pics below are of my walk back to the pier through Little India.  One pic below, the plump child was crying.  Not so sure why he was so upset, but boy was he!




The pics below are of a statue of Buddha Yodfa Chulaloke.  He was the founder and the first monarch of the reigning House of Chakri of Siam (now Thailand).  He ascended the throne in 1782.  He’s celebrated as the founder of Bangkok as the capital.  The statue is right near the Memorial Bridge Pier.


 
I was leaving the next morning (flight was 7:50a) and I had decided to stay at a hotel near the airport as opposed to downtown as I wanted to be close to the airport just in case.  I decided to go back near the airport to check-in at the hotel and would come back downtown for my last night in Bangkok.  So I took the express boat, the BTS Skytrain, the Express Rail-link train, and a taxi and checked-in.  Later that evening, I would see something that I never saw before!  And it was free…

3 comments:

  1. narrow alley ways. no like. glad for all your persistence you found your restaurant. looked like interesting things to eat for sale.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Creepy alley! You are brave! You should have asked the plumpy kid why he was crying. I bet if you spoke to him he would have been so shocked he'd stop crying OR maybe scream and cry some more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is Duke. Greg, I don't know if I would have had the nerve to go down that alleyway to get to the restaurant. Nor do I think I would have gone into or eaten at the restaurant. Good for you.

    ReplyDelete