Monday, November 14, 2011

Kingway Beer Garden

Bars/taverns are not common in China and when you do see them, they’re in the touristy areas and are very expensive.  But what China does have are ‘beer gardens’ which are basically large open-air, outdoor seating areas where the beer is served pitcher-style and the food is family-style and/or via skewers.  I live in the northern district of Nanshan and a beer garden I frequent is located in the district of Bao’an.  Bao’an alone has over 5 million people so you can get a feel of how large Shenzhen is.  The name of this beer garden is the Bao’an Kingway Beer Garden.  It’s around 35 minutes from my apartment.  Kingway is the local beer brewer and in fact, one of their breweries is right next door to the garden.  So at least you know the beer ought to be fresh!  As a side note, I’m actually going here tonight.  People usually play dice games on the tables (the dice are provided by the staff).  Sometimes there’s music or they show sports on the big screen.  But the main reasons I come here are twofold: one, it's cheap.  And two, I come for the bean curd skins.  They are bar-none my favorite food since I’ve been in China and this place serves them the best.  The spices on them are out-of-this-world (especially if you like garlic).  They are so delicious and so tasty.  I could eat these for breakfast, lunch, & dinner, they're that good.  By the way, the pics look empty as we had just gotten there when they opened.  They open around 4pm I think.  But beer gardens get busy as the night goes on, any day of the week.






Also, as you can see below, in addition to the bean curd skin, Laila and I ordered green bean and potato skewers too.  They are good as well.


3 comments:

  1. Bean curd skins? Sounds good. And I love garlic. Will you try to make them on your own? I thought the pictures of the food looked really yummy. I would try all of it! Boy I really can't wait for you to come home and cook some of those dishes for me.... Looks like you are having fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. not sure about trying to cook the skins at home. cannot find a good recipe and i don't want the recipe to be complicated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. bean curd i know can be in big or small cubes so i am thinking small...so i am surprised to see these things as big pancakes. i cannot imagine what the skin taste fried but see that they have sesame on it. garlic is great. is that my green beans in black bean sauce????you better say no or i will be so JEALOUS_____________as this is my favorite dish. wow. everyday it is like opening pandora's box.

    ReplyDelete