Tuesday, November 8, 2011

The Peak

The next day, after the races the previous night, I went sightseeing before I had to head back that evening to China to teach the next day. 


I decided to go to The Peak, Hong Kong’s most popular attraction (it’s also on some of their $20 bank notes - as a side note, Hong Kong has best looking bank notes I have ever seen - so detailed & colorful).  But before I went, I decided to get an early lunch.  The Peak is located in the Central, downtown area and I went to a place nearby called Ebeneezers and got a falafel sandwich.  A falafel sandwich is probably my favorite sandwich and I hadn’t had one since my arrival to China, so I bought one.  It was very good.


The Peak has a funicular tram which carries both tourists as well as residents to the upper levels of Hong Kong Island.  It runs from the Central district to Victoria Peak.  The Peak has stunning views of Hong Kong’s skyscrapers and harbor and also has shops and restaurants.  To get to the Peak, the popular way to go is via the Peak Tram (which dates back to 1888).  You take the tram to the top of the mountain.  The tram can stop at intervals to let off residents who live on the mountainside.  The tram rises 1,300 feet above sea-level.  It is very steep and it feels like the buildings you pass are leaning.    At the top is the wok-shaped Peak Tower which was renovated a few years ago and is splendid.  There are also other buildings around it as well.  The Tower consists of many levels and has restaurants and shops in addition to its terrace on the top with 360-degree views.  There is also a mall next to the The Tower where I bought a book. 















After a few hours at The Peak, I went back downtown to hang out for a little while before leaving for China.  Right near The Peak terminus is St. John’s Cathedral, the oldest Anglican Church in the Far East (dates back to 1849).  I walked by and took some photos of the outside though the Church was hard to photograph as it was located in a very tight space and I couldn’t get a panorama view.  But the Church is incredible clean and very nice. 


I stopped for a few drinks and a snack downtown and then headed back to China.  I had to teach the next day, Saturday.  Ugh!!!  You see in China, the government forces you (students & teachers) to go back to school (even on weekends) after long holidays (they feel students need to make up the time off) which is hard to understand as I feel it kind of defeats having off in the first place.  So I would have to teach seven days in a row (Sat-->Fri)… 

3 comments:

  1. So glad you liked HK so much! It sure looks nice and looks like a lot of fun! Great photos :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is Duke. Great pictures as always. Have to say that I didn't know what 'funicular' meant. Found out it means "mechanical engineering - operated by a rope or cable, especially one wound or pulled by a machine"

    ReplyDelete
  3. WHAT FABULOUS PICS. I WAS SO DIZZY LOOKING AT THEM. OH MY. EVEN THE ESCALTORS...........WOW I LOVE THE CHURCH AND THE IONIC OR CELTIC?CROSS ON THE GROUNDS. YOUR MEAL LOOKS GOOD. I AM SMILING THINKING OF JODEE AT ROSIES IN SALEM, NH TRYING TO DEAL WITH THE DILL PICKLE IN THAT WRAP. WOW. THAT THE TRAVEL SYSTEM GOES BACK THAT FAR BACK IN TIME IS AMAZING. YOU ARE SEEING SO MUCH TIME. WONDER WHAT IT WOULD BE TO TEACH IN HK AND IF THE KIDS WOULD BY DEFAULT HAVE A BETTER COMMAND OF THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE. YOUR CAMERA TAKES GREAT PICS.

    ReplyDelete