Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Television


Below is a quick post on television here in China.  China Central Television (CCTV) is the major state television broadcaster in mainland China.  Most channels consist of Chinese soaps and entertainment shows which I really have no interest in.  Even though they’re in Chinese, you can still tell they’re not up to U.S. standards in terms of quality.  I watch about 4 channels out of like 60.  One is China’s MTV.  Sometimes they show American bands or pop but it’s usually Chinese acts that are just dreadful.  I only watch it because I don’t have many options.  Another is a channel that sometimes shows American shows or movies.  Sometimes in English, sometimes not.  Sometimes they’ll show a movie from HBO or a National Geographic documentary.  Other times they have even shown MLB or NFL highlights from a week or two in the past with Chinese commentary.  There is a 24/7 sports channel in Chinese that usually shows soccer, volleyball, table tennis, and various international (basketball, gymnastics, skating, etc.) sporting events.  As you can see from the one pic below, they did show the World Series games live which was great even though the games were with Chinese commentary.  But the channel I watch the most is the 24-hr CCTV News, which is an English international news channel.  It usually shows live news at the top of every hour and then various other news during the second half.  I wouldn’t call it a true news channel as it’s still controlled by the state and I have read the journalists are always under pressure to report China in a positive light.  However, it’s better than nothing, and I was pleasantly surprised when they showed extensive 9-11 coverage (as you can see from the pics below) earlier this year to commemorate the tenth anniversary.  I do miss watching my American sports & shows but I really can’t complain.  I do not pay for it, my school does.



3 comments:

  1. This is Duke. Greg, I'm constantly amazed at how modern China is. Also, I see that one of the subway stops is Windows on the World. Do you know what that is. As you probably know, Windows on the World was a restaurant at the top of the WTC.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well yes. I would be grateful to get some American things and I think it is nice of China. It shows that they are trying. We are going through so much desecration right now either with this occupy wall st and this big arrested gink--a U.S. citizen who said he would kill policemen and all soldiers returning from war. It is so depressing what is wrong with people today. China would never stand for this assaults.

    ReplyDelete
  3. very modern. window of the world is a theme park. has nothing to do w/ the nyc rest. i'll be going to wotw soon...

    ReplyDelete