Monday, October 17, 2011

Dongmen


Below are some pictures of Dongmen shopping area here in Shenzhen.  I’ll show you different areas of town in future posts and this is one.  It’s in the East part (I’m west) of the city in the Luohu district.  Dongmen consists of several pedestrian shopping streets with small shops and restaurants as well as large malls.  Good area to find clothes, shoes, toys, tea, household items, DVDs, fabrics,  jewelry, jade, food, etc.  One can find pretty much everything.  Most of it is Chinese-made and counterfeit but you know that beforehand.  This place gets very busy.  This is where you come to find bargains and where bargaining/negotiating is expected.  You can spend a lot of time here.  I went with a few friends and we were there for around 4 hours I would say.  Shenzhen is a fairly new city but this area is older.





1 comment:

  1. I see some of your fellow teachers and see people looking at them. Wow. Busy. The streets or alleys look clean but narrow and busy. Store after store. Liked the one store in english...7 Magicians?Looks like people lined up to see a movie. Some of these Chinese ladies need visors so they don't have to carry their umbrella for shade.The red lanterns remind me of the movie Raise the red lantern...which one awards for costume and cinamatography I think. i know the red is supposed to increase the appetite, that is why it is used in restaurants but it is a fortunate color in Asia and I wonder why. Dont know if it is feng shui based or goes back before that concept. Tell me, are there stores that sell the precept of Confucianism? I forget the title of his book. The Annals of Confucianism? I forget really a shame since we studied him in history. A BRILLIANT philosopher.
    Great pics and I love I can click on them and make them larger!!

    ReplyDelete