Thursday, October 13, 2011

My School

I teach oral English (English speaking, English conversation, etc.) for primary students in Shenzhen, China. I work for the Shenzhen Education Bureau. The students are grades 1-6 which is quite a fluctuation and a challenge for me in terms of their English comprehension; especially their fluency, accuracy, & complexity. Most of my fellow English teachers do not have such a wide range of grades they have to teach but I was not so fortunate. But that’s the luck of the draw and this school is where I just happened to be placed.

I teach 30 classes every two weeks. One week I teach 15 classes to grades 1-3 and the next week its 15 classes for grades 4-6. Then it’s back to grades 1-3 again. There are around 45-50 students per class. Every class has different students. So I teach around 1,350-1,500 students (30 classes x 45 students = 1,350). It’s insane when you really think about it. Thus I do not try to remember their names or anything. That’s impossible. Also, as you can see from the pics, they all look pretty identical as in the same uniforms for the most part, same hair color, etc. The classes last around 40 minutes each. I teach mostly in the mornings and have the afternoons off. The afternoons are when I usually do lesson planning or go to my Chinese classes or just goof off on the internet. I have a little cubicle in my office with a computer but fortunately I do not have to hold any office hours so I usually leave and go back to my apartment after lunch. I also have to do an extracurricular class that I teach once a week in the late afternoon for the “better” English students. I do a separate lesson for them.

The students conversational English is not good and they cannot understand sentences or sentence structure for the most part. Reading and writing is much easier for them as that is what most of their English textbooks as well as exams focus on. Not speaking. That’s where I come in. They can say cat, yellow, hot dog etc. But I can’t ask them do they own a cat? Is yellow your favorite color? Do you eat hot dogs at home? They will not understand those questions or are too shy and afraid to answer if they think they might know. They really have a hard time with I, me, you, we, they, etc. If I ask what’s my name? They’ll say their name. I say no, my name? Most have a hard time with that. They also have a hard time with when, where, what, how, why, etc. There are a few sentences that all Chinese students know because it’s ingrained in them by their Chinese teachers and textbooks. If I ask, “Hi, how are you?” Every one, and I mean every student in unison, will say “I’m fine, thanks. And you?” Then I’ll say all 45 of you are fine? That can’t be. So I have told them I do not want them to say fine in my class. I tell them they can say they’re OK, so-so, good, great, hungry, tired, angry, hot, cold, etc. But I want no ‘I’m fines.’ I usually find that I have to make my lessons always easier than I think and more fun for them.

Well what are the students like? They love you, meaning me. They see my class as the fun class and go wild when I walk in the door. They love coming up to you and jumping right in front of you while I’m walking on the school grounds to say hello. But they’ll run away if I try to speak to them as they cannot answer. They love grabbing your arms. They’re just not use to foreigners. They’re fun for the most part but I can certainly get headaches some days.

Well what are my fellow Chinese teachers like? Not sure, 90% of them can’t speak English nor me Chinese so not sure. But most of them always smile and say hello and will try to help me when needed. Even the ones who can speak English, it’s so broken that it’s hard for me to understand them most of the time.

One of the pics is of a small cafeteria where I eat lunch. Breakfast and lunch are served every day for free to the teachers. I usually skip the breakfast but usually go to lunch every day. You go up to the counter and the cooks will scoop the food onto your tray behind bars/glass (as you see in the pic, they’re curiously watching me take the pic). The vice-principal told the cooks I’m a vegetarian so they always have a separate tray already prepared for me when I walk up there which is really nice. They even have a cover on it to keep it warm which is thoughtful. Now my tray isn’t anything different or special than the rest of the teachers, it just doesn’t have any meat on it. Just vegetables but I’m more than happy with that. They also have soup you can scoop out of the largest bucket or tin made by mankind for soup but I stay away from that as I know it’ll have either chicken, beef or a pork base.

Other thoughts? Well, all students leave/go home for rest from around 11:45 and come back around 2 pm. So different than America where they get a 2 hour plus break for rest and lunch. Teachers also use this time to rest and sleep. There are cots in teacher’s offices should the need arise. So students’ school days last from around 8-5. Long day. I would have hated that if I was a student. What also is different compared to the States is they have to do exercise every morning. They also have to stand and walk in formations. Listen to music/anthem, salute the flag, etc.

Well that’s about it for now regarding my school. I’m sure I’ll have future posts since I’m a teacher here. By the way, I took the pics of the students while in class.

















4 comments:

  1. Pis are great. Kids today in ANY country are just not shrinking violets........Kids will be kids and what cute kids and such excitement they are showing....... School looks nice and YIPES American teachers think their class size is big. Wow --dont know how you are doing it boy. These are HUGE classes and for teaching I am not in favor of big classes till maybe college level. The little girl sitting at the lunch bar seems so pensive and all alone...poor thing.As I think now not only is it a good experience for you but it is for them too. Something they will remember when they grow up and tell their children they had an American teacher. Their recess is very organized like their army and I am sure they get Army type of exercise and martial arts training which is GREAT since that helps body mind and spirit.Love the Asian school uniforms based navy sailor like. Very bright and clean looking. I like the wrought iron high gate around the school yard that is trimmed with nice shrubs. Important for the children's security. The building looks nice. Love the clock on the wall. So much like our schools and colleges. Your teaching is very hard. I feel for them when you want an answer more than I am fine. It is sad with the language and cultural barrier when they cannot say, " No I feel sad, or angry" or " Know what? I am very happy today". From their eager little faces you can see they WANT to learn. Wish the classes were smaller with more teacher because you have students in the age of wonderment. It is joyous when a child can say --(excuse no apostrophe's)-My cat had kittens or My Mom made the best dumplings---or My Dad bought me a baseball cap--sad really----- I just believe when classes are smaller little kids can learn better.
    Very nice of the cafeteria people to go out of their way for you. I am very grateful to your Chinese teacher for helping you with the Fedex package. It shows you despite all our differences...we are the same...people who do try to help each other. This was a great post.......

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are just adorable. I am so glad they love you. That is just awesome

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is Duke. Greg, the students seem to be all in uniform, but different uniforms. Do the uniforms represent anything, like grade, gender, etc.? Also, I see that the play areas are also tennis and basketball courts. I understand that both are popular in China, have you noticed this?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love your blogs!! So informative and interesting....the kids are so cute and they look as clean as a whistle!! How wonderful that they love you~that should make them more eager to learn!

    The people must have a great heart~saving your veggie food for you and keeping it warm!! That is nice to know.

    Have you had any adverse reactions to your being an American?

    ReplyDelete