Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Home-cooked Vegetarian Meal

From time to time I’m going to post some food blog entries whether it’s dishes I prepare at home, ingredients or restaurant dishes. 

I already have some that I want to share.

But I want to post a meal I made last night and had some leftovers today.  I’m really beginning to become a pretty good vegetarian cook here in China.  It’s exciting in that I’m trying dishes/ingredients that I would never have thought of cooking back in the U.S. nor even knew to try.

I sometimes try to go on the web for a general idea of what I want to cook, then just wing it in terms of what ingredients I want to use/buy and how I want to put it together.

I cooked a very good meal last night.  I cooked large Chinese-style noodles.  For the toppings, I used Cloud’s Ear (known as black fungus here), black dried Shiitake mushrooms, pre-packaged tofu nuggets, broccoli, and some sort of white vegetable (that I ate before in China but I just don’t know the name of it – I think it’s from the mushroom family but not sure – pic is included).  I have come to love the black fungus and black mushrooms.  They’re both basically like tofu in that they’re bland but acquire the taste of whatever you’re cooking it with.  The black fungus is an edible jelly fungus.  It is sold dried and just needs to be soaked in warm water for 20 minutes.  When soaking, they probably double in size.  I then stir-fry it for a few minutes.  It has a slightly rubbery but crunchy texture when eating it.  I love them.  Very good for you.  They reduce blood pressure and cholesterol levels.  The Shiitake mushrooms, like the fungus, just need to be soaked and then I stir-fry them too.  They’re very tasty as well.  Like the fungus, it’s good for you. 

For the sauce I used ma po tofu seasoning.  I then added to the wok the seasoning, mushrooms, fungus, that white vegetable I mentioned earlier, tofu, broccoli, garlic, onion powder, black pepper, soy sauce, sugar, salt, water, soybean oil, & sesame seeds.  It came out pretty good.  Just too bad I ate it alone.  Was good enough to share.  I will post other food topics/meals in the future.  Hope you like the pics too.










1 comment:

  1. The second pic, is that not bean sprouts?fresh ones? I remember seeing dried mushroom family things in Asian markets but did not know what to do with them. Why not share a meal with your fellow v. teacher or does she not live in your area. Even a meat eater who is adventerous may want to try a veg. Chinese dish...many people are moving away at least 2 days a week from meat meals. I know of one in NH that does. Looks very good. I bought two Chinese cookbooks in Okinawa and I know I still have one. I used to make a great Jap. dish but with carrots but has meat in it. This looks good. I would not buy any of this fungus fresh as you do not know the source. I mean this even here. Many mushrooms are very poisionous. Uncle Al would never eat say a Campbells pre packaged 12 oz commercial package from the groc. store. He never trusted it. That is the only place i buy mushrooms. I will not even buy them from a road side stand here. I remember a family of 12 in NY all dying ------------from poision mushrooms. So I would stay with China's commercially packed stuff. Looks good. Wish I could try it. I would love to know how the Chinese get the garlic to taste so wonderful. I MUST OVERCOOK MINE....IT NEVER IS THAT STRONG TASTING.................You are doing a great job. You have Uncle A. penchant for cooking.

    ReplyDelete